Apple Beignets Recipe With Apple Filling & Calvados Caramel Sauce From Chef Jason Hall by 30Seconds Food
Chef Jason Hall from Cathédrale at Moxy East Village in NYC has shared the recipe for his sweet apple beignets with calvados caramel sauce. This is the perfect recipe for brunch, snacking, dessert and for Mardi Gras! (If you've been looking for an excuse to buy a food scale, this beignet recipe is it!)
Prep Time: 24 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes (approximately)
Total Time: 30 minutes plus 24 hours
- 1000 grams bread flour (8 cups)
- 112 grams sugar (1/2 cup)
- 38 grams fresh yeast (about 4 1/2 tablespoons)
- 12 large eggs
- 62 milliliters water (about 4 tablespoons)
- 1 pound cold butter, cut into pieces
- 24 grams salt (about 4 teaspoons)
- 3 apples, diced (1500 grams)
- 90 grams butter (about 1/2 cup)
- 4 vanilla beans
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 240 grams sugar (about 1 cup)
- 240 grams glucose (you can substitute corn syrup), a little less than 1 cup
- 5 grams cinnamon (about 1 1/2 teaspoons)
Calvados Caramel Sauce
- 492 grams sugar (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 16 grams glucose syrup (corn syrup), about 1 1/2 cups
- 80 grams water (1/3 cup)
- 492 grams heavy cream (about 2 cups)
- 30 grams Calvados (apple brandy), about 2 1/2 tablespoons
Here's how to make it:
- To make the dough, combine everything together in a mixer fitted with a dough hook and mix until the dough comes together. Add salt and continue mixing until all the butter pieces are incorporated and no longer visible. Refrigerate overnight. Portion dough to 20-gram balls and set aside.
- To make the filling, melt butter in a pot and add diced apples, vanilla beans, and cinnamon sticks. Cook until apples have reduced. Add the rest of the ingredients and cook until it reduces in half. Cool over an ice bath and fill molds then freeze.
- To make the caramel sauce, warm water and cream and set aside. Make a medium caramel with the sugar and glucose. Deglaze with the warm liquid. Bring back to a boil and keep whisking making sure all the sugars are dissolved. Strain and whisk is calvados. Cool.
- To assemble, take portioned dough and take a frozen compote piece and press in and seal and roll into a ball. Line and spray a half tray and cover with plastic wrap. Let it proof for 15 minutes and refrigerate. Heat oil to 330 degrees F and drop beignets. Cook until golden brown. Dust with powdered sugar. Serve with calvados caramel sauce.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Bread Flour $3 & Up
Cinnamon Sticks $3 & Up
Vanilla Beans $5 & Up
Sugar $2 & Up
Yeast $4 & Up
Corn Syrup $2 & Up
Food Scales $10 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.