My Favorite Macaroni & Cheese Recipe: Schitt's Creek's David & Moira Would Love This Easy Mac & Cheese Recipe (#FoldintheCheese) by Ann Marie Gardinier Halstead
I love macaroni and cheese. I don’t think I’ve come across a recipe I don’t enjoy eating. However, I have come across recipes I don’t enjoy cooking. Even my mom’s recipe, which I love to eat, didn’t work for me. For some reason it just never came out right for me; it never tasted as good as hers.
After lots of trial and error, I found the most delicious recipe that everyone in my family loves. And bonus: It comes out consistently delicious every time! It’s my friend Deb’s recipe, which I’ve modified just slightly over time. She shared it with me many years ago when my family lived in New York, and I’ve treasured it ever since. I hope you enjoy it, too.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 to 50 minutes
Total Time: 60 to 70 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 4 cups elbow macaroni (16 ounces), cooked according to package directions
- 1 stick butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 4 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- dry breadcrumbs, for topping
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add and mix flour, stirring to make a roux. Add milk, 1 cup at a time. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add in the cheese (or FOLD it in, for the Schitt’s Creek fans!). Stir until smooth and fully mixed. Note that the cheese mixture will thicken and get creamy as you add more cheese and as it cooks.
- Spray a casserole dish with cooking spray. Add cooked pasta. Pour cheese over the pasta and stir well.
- Add a light layer of traditional breadcrumbs or Italian breadcrumbs (I prefer Italian). Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until the macaroni is heated through and the breadcrumbs are golden brown, approximately 40 to 50 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Schitt's Creek $3 & Up
Casserole Dishes $10 & Up
Elbow Macaroni $1 & Up
Flour $2 & Up
Dry Breadcrumbs $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.