Fast Herbed Thanksgiving Stuffing Recipe: If Cornbread Dressing & Bread Stuffing Had a Baby by Donna John
My grandma and mom always made cornbread stuffing for Thanksgiving. I love it, but bread stuffing is also delicious. What to do? A few years ago this herbed cornbread and bread stuffing recipe made its debut at my Thanksgiving table. It was a hit. Be sure to let your bread dry before preparing this stuffing for the best results. You can also switch up the herbs.
Prep Time: 10 minutes plus time to dry the bread
Cook Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total Time: 35 to 40 minutes plus time to dry the bread
- 1 loaf crusty French bread, cut into cubes and dried (about 6 to 8 cups)
- 1 square pan cornbread, cut into cubes and dried (I used a cornbread mix)
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 4 - 5 cups chicken broth (I used low-sodium chicken broth)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- poultry seasoning, optional (I added a couple shakes)
Here's how to make it:
- Melt the butter in a skillet. Cook the onion and celery until soft, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley and chicken broth and bring to a simmer.
- Put the bread and cornbread cubes into a large bowl. Slowly start ladling in the hot chicken broth and mixing. Add enough broth so that everything is evenly moistened. You do not want to add too much broth or it will get mushy. Season with salt and pepper and add more herbs, if desired. Sprinkle in some poultry seasoning, too, if using.
- Pour the mixture into a 13x9-inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven for about 20 to 25 minutes or until golden.
Note: To dry the bread and cornbread, lay the cubes onto a baking sheet and let them sit on the counter for one to two days. You could also dry them faster in a low-heat oven (about 250 degrees F) for about 30 minutes.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
13x9-inch Baking Pans $9 & Up
Cornbread Mixes $1 & Up
Dried Basil $2 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Dried Thyme $2 & Up
Poultry Seasoning $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.