Grandma's Simple Sunday Gravy Recipe: The Easiest Italian Tomato Sauce Recipe by 30Seconds Food
We can all picture images of big Italian families gathering with a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce (aka Sunday gravy) on the stove. If it's something you've never done, why not? Homemade Italian tomato sauce is easier to make than you may think.
This easy pasta sauce recipe requires minimal prep and basically cooks itself (you do need to stir it every so often). The sauce is made with olive oil, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and basil. Add a pinch of sugar, too, if you'd like (this is a must for some cooks!). Serve this quick and easy Sunday gravy recipe over your favorite pasta or use it in recipes like lasagna.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (32 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the water, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and sugar, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and gently cook until sauce thickens, stirring often, about 2 hours.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Pots $10 & Up
Crushed Tomatoes $2 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Granulated Sugar $2 & Up
Pasta $1 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.