Nonna's Sunday Gravy Recipe: The Easiest Italian Tomato Sauce Recipe by 30Seconds Food
Sunday gravy, it's a classic. We can all picture images of big Italian families gathering with a pot of homemade spaghetti sauce (aka Sunday gravy) on the stove. If it's something you've never done, why not? Homemade Italian tomato sauce is easier to make than you may think.
This easy pasta sauce recipe requires minimal prep and basically cooks itself (you do need to stir it every so often). The vegetarian sauce is made with olive oil, onion, garlic, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and basil. Add a pinch of sugar, too, if you'd like (this is a must for some cooks!).
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours
Total Time: 2 hours and 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 2 cans (32 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (16 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- Soup Pot
- Cutting Board
- Chef Knife
- Measuring Cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Salt and Pepper
- Can Opener
- Wooden Spoon
- You can freeze this sauce to use later. Freeze it in freezer bags or in ice cube trays for smaller amounts.
- Add some crushed red pepper flakes for a little heat.
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the onion and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds.
- Add the water, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, basil and sugar, if using. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat and gently cook until sauce thickens, stirring often, about 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts Per Serving
Total Fat: 8.5g
Saturated Fat: 1.2g
Total Carbohydrate: 10.7g
Dietary Fiber: 3.5g
Total Sugars: 6.8g
Vitamin D: 0mcg
Recipe cooking times, nutritional information and servings are approximate and provided for your convenience. However, 30Seconds is not responsible for the outcome of any recipe, nor may you have the same results because of variations in ingredients, temperatures, altitude, errors, omissions or cooking/baking abilities. This recipe has been analyzed by VeryWellFit. However, any nutritional information is provided as a courtesy and it is up to the individual to ascertain accuracy. To ensure image quality, we may occasionally use stock photography.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.