Spaghetti Aglio e Olio Recipe: This Traditional Italian Pasta Recipe Has 6 Ingredients & Is Ready in 30 Minutes by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Our 30Seconds Resident Chef
Spaghetti aglio e olio is a traditional Italian pasta recipe from Naples. It is a typical dish of Neapolitan cuisine and is widely popular. Its popularity can be attributed to it being simple to prepare, and it makes use of inexpensive, readily available ingredients that have long shelf lives in a pantry. We love that! Add anything you like. Or don't!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
10 cloves garlic, sliced thin
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
12 - 15 stems fresh parsley leaves, rough chopped
1 pound spaghetti or other long pasta
1/2 - 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, plus more for garnish
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan, plus additional for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 tablespoons of salt and cook the pasta according to the manufactures directions. Set aside 1 1/2 cups of the pasta cooking liquid before you drain the pasta.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-low heat in a large sauté pan (large enough to hold and toss the pasta). Add the garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the garlic begins to turn golden on its edges. Don't overcook it. Garlic will burn quickly. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Carefully add the reserved cooking liquid to the garlic and oil. (Take caution, the oil will spatter slightly when the water hits the pan.) Lower the heat and simmer for about 5 additional minutes until the liquid is reduced by about a third and a sauce begins to form.
- Add the drained pasta to the garlic sauce and toss. Remove from the heat. Add the chopped parsley and Parmesan. Toss well.
- Allow the pasta to rest off the heat for about 5 minutes before serving so the sauce can be absorbed. Taste and adjust seasoning with pepper and Parmesan cheese. Serve more cheese on the side.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Large Pots $10 & Up
Sauté Pans $10 & Up
Spaghetti Noodles $1 & Up
Extra Virgin Olive Oil $4 & Up
Crushed Red Pepper Flakes $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.