40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken Recipe: This Easy Chicken With 40 Cloves of Garlic Recipe Is a Classic by 30Seconds Food
The recipe for chicken with 40 cloves of garlic was first published in 1974 and made famous by James Beard. While 40 cloves sounds like a lot of garlic (and yes, it is!), it's really only two to three heads of garlic. The garlic not only flavors the dish, but is wonderful squeezed onto toasted bread to enjoy with the chicken.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour and 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 1/2 hours
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 40 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
Here's how to make it:
- Put the chicken into a cast iron skillet or ovenproof skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Drizzle the olive oil all over the chicken (try to get some under the skin, too). Sprinkle with the thyme. Add the garlic cloves around the chicken.
- Bake the chicken in a preheated 375-degree F oven for about 1 hour, basting occasionally. When the chicken is cooked through (internal temperature 165 degrees F), remove it and the garlic to a serving platter and pour the accumulated juices into a bowl.
- Put the skillet on the stove over medium-high heat. Add the wine to deglaze the pan, stirring up the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Cook until wine has reduced by half.
- Add the pan juices and chicken broth to the skillet. Simmer until it reduces to about 3/4 cup. Stir in the butter and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with the chicken and garlic.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Cast Iron Skillets $10 & Up
Ovenproof Skillets $10 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Sea Salt $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.