Indonesian Fried Rice Recipe (Nasi Goreng): Take Your Taste Buds on a Trip by 30Seconds Food
Nasi goreng means fried rice in Indonesia and Malaysia. This easy chicken nasi goreng recipe is full of strong flavors, crispy onions and tender chicken – and will delight your taste buds.
This easy and flavorful rice recipe is a perfect side dish, or delicious dinner recipe, in no time at all.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (divided)
- 1/2 pound chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch (divided)
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 hot chile pepper, minced
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon tamarind paste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce (can substitute regular soy sauce)
- 4 cups cooked long-grain rice (for best results, cook and refrigerate before using)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 2 eggs
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- fried eggs, for serving
Here's how to make it:
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and dust with about 2 teaspoons of the cornstarch. Add to the hot oil and cook until browned and just cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Heat another tablespoon of oil in the skillet. Dust the onion slices with cornstarch and cook in the hot oil until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove to the plate with the chicken.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add another tablespoon of oil. Add the shrimp paste, garlic and chiles. Cook about 1 minute, stirring. Add the fish sauce, brown sugar, tamarind, tomato paste and soy sauce.
- Stir in the cooked rice and peas and carrots. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Make a hole in the center and crack in the 2 eggs. Cook, stirring, until eggs are almost set.
- Add the chicken, crispy onions and green onions to the pan. Continue to cook until the rice begins to get crispy in spots. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if needed.
- If serving with fried eggs on top, fry the eggs in a separate pan until desired doneness. Serve rice with a fried egg on top and garnish with additional chopped green onions.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Large Skillets $10 & Up
Shrimp Paste $5 & Up
Tamarind Paste $4 & Up
Tomato Paste $1 & Up
Dark Soy Sauce $3 & Up
Cornstarch $2 & Up
Fish Sauce $2 & Up
Soy Sauce $2 & Up
Long Grain Rice $2 & Up
Vegetable Oil $2 & Up
Brown Sugar $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.