Savory Shrimp, Chicken & Chorizo Paella Recipe: The Perfect Paella for Beginners by 30Seconds Food
Paella is a savory Spanish rice dish that originated in Valencia, Spain. Paella is one of the best-known Spanish dishes. Paella recipes differ, but the proteins are typically seafood, chicken and sausage. This easy paella recipe is simply delicious, and perfect for first-time paella makers.
The easy Spanish paella recipe is made with chicken broth, saffron, olive oil, Spanish chorizo, boneless chicken thighs, onion, red bell pepper, garlic, rice, fresh lemon juice, smoked paprika, green peas, shrimp and fresh parsley. The paella takes about one hour to prep and cook.
If you want mussels in your paella, simply add them along with the shrimp in the final steps. Serve this flavorful paella with a glass of wine or iced tea.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour
Servings: 4 to 6
- 4 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon saffron
- 4 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1 link Spanish chorizo, sliced
- 4 - 5 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 onion, diced fine
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups medium-grain rice (preferred) or long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound medium to large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- fresh parsley, for garnish
Here's how to make it:
- In a pot, combine the chicken broth and saffron. Heat to almost a boil and then reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- In a large skillet or paella pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chorizo and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove the chorizo and set aside.
- Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for about 5 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
- Add the onion and red bell pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more.
- Stir in the rice. Cook, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes.
- Pour in the hot saffron broth. Add the chorizo, lemon juice, smoked paprika and the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Reduce heat medium-low and cook for about 10 minutes, or until rice has absorbed almost all of the broth and is almost tender.
- Season the shrimp with salt and pepper. Arrange the shrimp over the rice. Sprinkle the peas over the top. Cover and cook about 6 to 8 minutes or until shrimp are cooked through and rice is tender. Allow the paella to rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Paella Pans $15 & Up
Large Skillets $10 & Up
Saffron $6 & Up
Chicken Broth $1 & Up
Medium Grain Rice $3 & Up
Long Grain Rice $2 & Up
Olive Oil $4 & Up
Smoked Paprika $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.