Cheesy Vegetable Enchiladas Recipe: The Meatless Monday Recipe You've Been Looking For by 30Seconds Food
These hearty cheese enchiladas will satisfy your Mexican food cravings and fill you up – and you won't even miss the meat! The easy cheesy vegetable enchiladas start on the stovetop and end in the oven. So quick and easy.
The vegetarian enchiladas are made with red bell pepper or poblano pepper, red onion, garlic, ground cumin, enchilada sauce, grated cheese, black beans and flour tortillas. The Mexican recipe calls for canned enchilada sauce for convenience, but you could make homemade enchilada sauce.
If you like spice, use a poblano pepper. Not so much? A red bell pepper adds sweetness and no spice to this vegetarian enchilada recipe. You choose! If you want really saucy enchiladas, use two cans of enchilada sauce. Serve this easy enchilada recipe with a salad or your favorite Mexican side dishes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 to 35 minutes
Total Time: 40 to 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper or poblano pepper, cut into strips
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 4 - 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 can (14 ounces) enchilada sauce or homemade enchilada sauce
- 3 cups grated cheddar cheese (divided)
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- flour tortillas
- garnishes: fresh chopped cilantro, jalapenos, sour cream, guacamole, pico de gallo, salsa (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the olive oil in a cast iron skillet. Add the red bell pepper or poblano pepper and onion, and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cook about 1 minute. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Pour about a 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of the skillet.
- To make enchiladas, divide the vegetable mixture, black beans and 2 cups of the cheese between the tortillas. Roll up and place on top of the enchilada sauce, seam side down.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the top of the enchiladas. Cover the skillet with a lid or aluminum foil.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until enchiladas are hot and bubbly, about 15 to 20 minutes. Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and bake an additional 5 to 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Garnish with desired toppings and serve.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.