20-Minute Homemade Enchilada Sauce Recipe to Pour on Anything by Donna John
Making enchiladas? If you're like me, you'll just grab a can of enchilada sauce at the store. Images of soaking bags of dried Mexican chiles in water for hours, then hours of simmering and stirring, made the can sauce very appealing – until this recipe caught my eye.
This enchilada sauce recipe is so easy to make, but is rich, flavorful and makes a mean enchilada, burrito or sauce for a grilled chicken breast. To make it vegan, simply use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons chili powder (I used Gebhardt)
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
Here's how to make it:
- Combine the oil and flour in a saucepot. Cook on medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until roux becomes a medium brown color.
- Add all the spices. Cook, stirring, about 1 minute.
- Pour in the chicken broth. Whisk until combined.
- Cook over medium heat until thickened.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.