Best Holiday Appetizers: Chef Adrianne Calvo's Sweet Potato Skins With Spanish Chorizo & Pickled Onions by Chef Adrianne Calvo
Twice baked potatoes are delicious, but watch your family's faces light up when you serve these sweet potato skins with chorizo and pickled onions. Add these flavorful appetizers to your holiday menu.
- 2 medium sweet potatoes
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/4 Spanish chorizo, minced
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup light beer
- 1 teaspoon green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- pinch dried oregano
Here's how to make it:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Pierce each sweet potato a few times and bake on cookie sheet for 40-50 minutes or until soft. Allow the potatoes to cool slightly. Slice potatoes in half lengthwise. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
- Scoop out sweet potato flesh, leaving a thin layer of sweet potato inside. Add the flesh to a medium bowl. Place skins back on the baking sheet face up, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 8-10 minutes. Mash the sweet potato flesh with heavy cream, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a sauté pan, heat the olive oil to medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic and chorizo. Sauté and stir for 5-7 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and cook for another minute. Add the beer to deglaze the pan. Add the green onions and remove from the heat. Set aside.
- In a small pot, add the sliced red onion, vinegar and oregano. Bring to a simmer and then turn off the heat. Set aside.
- Remove the skins from the oven. To assemble, fill each potato skin with the mashed sweet potato, then add the chorizo mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese and bake for 3-5 minutes or until cheese melts. Remove from the oven and top with a dollop of sour cream and finish with pickled onion.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Extra Virgin Olive Oil $4 & Up
Crushed Red Pepper $3 & Up
Red Wine Vinegar $2 & Up
Dried Oregano $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.