Instant Pot™ Creamy Shrimp Soup Recipe: All the Good Feels of Comfort Food Fast by Melissa Vickers
When I think of a good soup recipe, I imagine something that has lots of wholesome ingredients that sits on the stove or in a slow cooker and cooks for hours for all the flavors to blend and the pieces to soften. But that doesn't have to be the case when making this type of comfort food.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes (including time to get the Instant Pot™ pressurized)
Total Time: 40 minutes
Servings: 4 to 6
- 3/4 - 1 pound de-veined shrimp (fresh if you can get it, but frozen works great, too)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter (divided)
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 carrots, minced
- 1 bag (1 pound) small potatoes, such as baby reds, diced or 2 medium or large baking potatoes, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (or substitute your favorite milk substitute like coconut, almond, soy, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan, for garnish
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- Set Instant Pot™ to Sauté. When hot, heat 1 tablespoon of butter and cook the shrimp for 4 to 7 minutes until completely opaque on both sides. Transfer shrimp to a bowl and set aside.
- With the pressure cooker still set for Sauté, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and cook the onions, carrot and celery for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and diced potatoes and continue to cook for 1 minute before adding paprika, cayenne pepper, thyme and bay leaf. Cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly, then add chicken stock and softened cream cheese. Close the lid and set to pressure cook for 2 minutes.
- When time is up, do a quick release and carefully remove the lid. Add the heavy cream to the soup and stir until the cream is well blended. Let the chowder heat through. Add shrimp and any additional seasonings, to taste.
- Top with grated Parmesan and chopped parsley for extra flavor.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Pressure Cookers $50 & Up
Bay Leaves $3 & Up
Paprika $3 & Up
Cayenne $3 & Up
Dried Thyme $3 & Up
Chicken Stock $1 & Up
Vegetable Stock $2 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.