Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes With Crispy Bacon Will Make Everyone Go Back for Seconds by Chef Gigi Gaggero, Host of KSCU 103.3 FM LIVE Food Talk Radio S.F. Bay Area
This is not your typical mashed potatoes recipe. The buttermilk elevates the potatoes, and the bacon and scallions bring extra flavor and texture to the dish. So good with just about any main course for a holiday dinner or anytime.
Prep Time: 10 to 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 to 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 to 55 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2/3 cup whole buttermilk
- 1 cup salted butter, softened
- 8 ounces crème fraîche
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 pound bacon, cut into 1-inch slices, cooked and drained (reserve drippings)
- 1 cup scallions, cleaned and diagonally sliced
Here's how to make it:
- Place potatoes in a large heavy bottomed stock pot with cold water to cover by 2 inches. Bring to a boil over medium-high. Boil until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes.
- Heat the bacon drippings in a skillet and quickly add the scallions. Toss until lightly browned and crispy, about 3-4 minutes. Transfer scallions to paper towels with a slotted spoon to drain. Set aside.
- Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot. Over medium heat, continue to cook, stirring once, until potatoes dry from excess moisture, about 1 minute.
- While the potatoes are drying, place the buttermilk and butter in a microwavable glass bowl. Heat on high until warm, about 45-60 seconds.
- Add warm buttermilk mixture, crème fraîche, salt and pepper to potatoes. Mash with a potato masher to desired consistency.
- Transfer the mashed potato mixture to a casserole serving dish, and top with crunchy scallions and crumbled bacon. Serve warm.
Need help converting cooking and baking measurements? Here are some handy kitchen conversion charts.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Potato Mashers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.