Tomato & Fennel Soup Is an Elevated Take on a Family Classic by Shauna Flury
Nothing is as comforting as a bowl of tomato soup. This version is elevated with the addition of fennel. Serve with crackers, breadsticks or crostini for dipping.
- 2 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes (approximately), plus extra for decoration
- 1/4 cup fennel
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (reserve some for decoration)
Here's how to make it:
- Put the tomatoes (not tomato paste), fennel, garlic and basil in a steamer basket and steam.
- When the tomatoes, garlic and basil are cooked, add the remaining ingredients and use a blender or hand immersion blender to bring to desired texture.
- Add diced tomatoes and reserved basil leaves to the surface for decoration. Serve warm.