Tasty 30-Minute Red Beans & Rice Recipe: Louisiana in a Bowl by 30Seconds Food
These easy red beans and rice are made with sausage (smoked or andouille), onion, bell pepper, kidney beans, rice, bay leaves and ground cayenne pepper. Some of the beans are mashed and stirred back into the dish to help thicken it. Genius!
This easy red beans and rice recipe is a delicious dinner or side dish. This red beans and rice freezes well, too, and is perfect for meal prepping. To make it healthier, use chicken or turkey sausage or even vegan sausage.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound smoked sausage or andouille sausage, cut into rounds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cans (15 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ground cayenne, to taste
- 3 cups water
- 2 - 3 cups cooked white rice
- Tabasco sauce
Here's how to make it:
- Heat the oil in a large pot. Add the sausage, onion and pepper. Cook until sausage is brown, about 5 minutes. Add the beans, bay leaves, thyme, cayenne and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves. Take about one-third of the beans out of the pot and mash with a fork. Return to the pot and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Serve over the cooked rice with Tabasco sauce on the side.
Note: we may occasionally reference products based on a contributor’s personal opinion. But 30Seconds is not affiliated or in no way endorses or makes any warranties about specific products. However, 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.