This Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe With Grilled Cheese Croutons Is Ready in 30 Minutes by Chef Gigi Gaggero, 30Seconds.com Resident Chef
Creamy tomato soup and grilled cheese is a classic combination. But turn that grilled cheese into "croutons," and you've made tomato soup magic. Serve with a salad for a complete meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped in 1/2- inch pieces
- 1 - 2 teaspoon fresh oregano leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf Italian parsley leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) peeled and chopped organic tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plain Greek yogurt or your favorite nut milk
- 10 - 12 fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
Grilled Cheese Croutons
- 8 slices of your favorite bread, crusts removed
- 8 - 12 tablespoons butter, softened
- 8 slices sharp cheddar cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- In a heavy stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and carrots. Sauté for 3 - 5 minutes until onions are beginning to turn golden brown and caramelized.
- Add the garlic, oregano and parsley. Cook an additional 1 - 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice and the chicken stock. Bring to a low simmer. Cook uncovered, for 12 -15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add fresh basil.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender or carefully in a regular blender. Return to pot. Add cream and more salt and pepper, if needed. Heat through (do not boil).
- While soup is cooking, make grilled cheese with bread, butter and cheese. Cut into "croutons."
- Serve soup piping hot garnished with grilled cheese croutons.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.