Green Mashed Potatoes Recipe Is Sure to Please on St. Patrick's Day (But What Makes Them Green?) by 30Seconds Food
Peas make these mashed potatoes green! Your kids might refuse to eat green peas, but we bet they'll gobble up this green mashed potatoes recipe, especially on St. Patrick's Day!
The simple mashed potatoes recipe has just four ingredients: russet or Yukon gold potatoes, butter, fresh or frozen green peas and milk. The potatoes are boiled until tender, then drained well and mashed. The peas are cooked in a little butter, then 1 1/2 cups of them are pureed in a blender along with the milk. The pea mixture is added to the mashed potatoes and remaining butter. That's it! You now have fun green mashed potatoes.
If your child absolutely refuses to eat peas (no negotiations!), you could use broccoli florets instead. If you have leftovers, form it into patties and pan fry until lightly browned on both sides. Delicious! This is a fun side dish recipe the whole family will enjoy for dinner any time of the year.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
Servings: 6 to 8
- 2 pounds russet or Yukon gold potatoes
- 5 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 2 cups pea, fresh or frozen (divided)
- 1 cup milk
Here’s how to make it:
- Cut the potatoes into chunks and cook in boiling, salted water until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well and mash with a potato masher.
- Heat 1 tablespoons of the butter in a skillet. Add the peas and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Put 1 1/2 cups of the peas into a blender. Add the milk and salt and pepper, to taste. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour the pea mixture, along with the remaining butter, into the potatoes. Stir until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into a bowl and top with the remaining peas.
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Blenders $20 & Up
Potato Mashers $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.