30-Minute Mardi Gras King Cake Recipe: This Shortcut King Cake Recipe Is Worth Celebrating by Holly Budde
La vie douce means "the sweet life!" And it's never as sweet as during Mardi Gras season! King cake is the cake associated with this festive time of the year in New Orleans and other states now.
A king cake is a sweet vanilla cake with a sweet filling. A small plastic baby is baked into the cake, and whoever gets it is considered lucky and sometimes wins a prize. An authentic king cake can take a lot of time to bake for dessert. If you're like me and don't have the time, you need to try this shortcut king cake recipe I came up with.
The king cake is made with refrigerated crescent rolls, butter, cinnamon, cream cheese and powdered sugar. A simple two-ingredient glaze – powdered sugar and vanilla – is poured over the baked and cooled cake. Simple! Decorate with yellow, green and purple sprinkles and you have a festive cake worthy of celebrating.
Make your Mardi Gras a little sweeter with this easy king cake recipe. This simple king cake recipe will make you a genius Mardi Gras cake baker in 30 minutes. No one will care how easy it was to bake after they taste it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 box powdered sugar (divided)
- powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- warm water
- yellow sprinkles, green sprinkles and purple sprinkles
Here’s how to make it:
- Unroll the crescent rolls into one piece. Press together the seams to seal.
- Mix a paste of butter and cinnamon and spread over the dough.
- In a bowl mix together half a box (approximately 8 ounces) of powdered sugar and the softened cream cheese. Drop by teaspoons full on top of the butter mixture, making sure you have it evenly distributed. (You can also add a few teaspoon dollops of pie filling and/or nuts to this step if you want.)
- Roll the dough horizontally. Press the seams together and form a circle on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While it’s baking, mix the remaining powdered sugar, the vanilla and enough warm water to make a thick glaze.
- Allow cake to cool, then spread the glaze heavily on the cake. Decorate with sprinkles and beads, of course!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Recipe cooking times and servings are approximate. Need to convert cooking and baking measurements? Here are some kitchen conversion charts. Here's how to submit your recipes to 30Seconds.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get recipes in your newsfeed daily.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
King Cake Plastic Babies $6 & Up
Purple Sprinkles $3 & Up
Yellow Sprinkles $3 & Up
Green Sprinkles $3 & Up
Mardi Gras Beads $7 & Up
Powdered Sugar $3 & Up
Vanilla Extract $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.