30-Minute Mardi Gras King Cake Recipe: This Shortcut King Cake Recipe Is Worth Celebrating by Holly Budde
A king cake is a sweet vanilla cake with a sweet filling. A small plastic baby is baked into the cake, and whoever gets it is considered lucky and sometimes wins a prize. An authentic king cake can take a lot of time to bake for dessert. If you're like me and don't have the time, you need to try this shortcut king cake recipe I came up with.
The king cake is made with refrigerated crescent rolls, butter, cinnamon, cream cheese and powdered sugar. A simple two-ingredient glaze – powdered sugar and vanilla – is poured over the baked and cooled cake. Simple! Decorate with yellow, green and purple sprinkles and you have a festive cake worthy of celebrating.
Make your Mardi Gras a little sweeter with this easy king cake recipe. This simple king cake recipe will make you a genius Mardi Gras cake baker in 30 minutes. No one will care how easy it was to bake after they taste it.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 to 20 minutes
Total Time: 25 to 30 minutes
Servings: Makes 1 cake
- 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 box powdered sugar (divided)
- powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- warm water
- yellow sprinkles, green sprinkles and purple sprinkles
Here’s how to make it:
- Unroll the crescent rolls into one piece. Press together the seams to seal.
- Mix a paste of butter and cinnamon and spread over the dough.
- In a bowl mix together half a box (approximately 8 ounces) of powdered sugar and the softened cream cheese. Drop by teaspoons full on top of the butter mixture, making sure you have it evenly distributed. (You can also add a few teaspoon dollops of pie filling and/or nuts to this step if you want.)
- Roll the dough horizontally. Press the seams together and form a circle on a lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- While it’s baking, mix the remaining powdered sugar, the vanilla and enough warm water to make a thick glaze.
- Allow cake to cool, then spread the glaze heavily on the cake. Decorate with sprinkles and beads, of course!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.