Turkey Leftover Ideas: How to Make Greek Lemon Turkey Soup by Erica Kane
Classic Greek lemon soup with roasted turkey is a unique spin on Thanksgiving leftovers. Here's the easy recipe!
- 1 white onion, chopped small
- 2 carrots, peeled, sliced thin
- olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- salt and pepper
- 2 quarts stock (chicken, turkey or veggie)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups shredded chicken or turkey (optional) juice of 3 lemons
- 4 eggs
- parsley, for garnish
Here’s how to make it:
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, sauté carrots, onion and lemon zest in olive oil. Add salt and pepper. Cook about 7-10 minutes.
- Add stock and 1 bay leaf and bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes until rice is cooked through.
- When rice is cooking, whisk 4 eggs and the juice of 2 lemons in a large mixing bowl. Once rice is done cooking, we need to temper the eggs. This is a technique where you slowly heat the eggs so they don’t cook (as they would if you threw them directly into the soup). Add one ladle of soup to the egg and lemon mixture and whisk rapidly. Add another ladle and do the same, whisking continuously. Do this with five ladles, then pour the mixture back into the pot.
- Add the juice of 1 more lemon. Stir.
- Add rotisserie chicken (or turkey like I did with my Thanksgiving leftovers) and simmer for a few minutes until heated through and thickened.