How to Make Melt-in-Your-Mouth Caramels (Eat or Give As a Gift)! by Annette Jett
Homemade caramels are a perfect bite of sweet goodness. And they're really easy to make!
- 1 pound brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- nuts (optional)
Here's how you make them:
- To a heavy saucepan, add the brown sugar and butter. Stir constantly over medium heat until melted.
- Add the corn syrup and sweetened condensed milk. Cook, stirring, until temperature reaches 238 degrees F (use a candy thermometer).
- Pour mixture onto a buttered cookie sheet. Cool and cut into desired sizes.
- To add nuts, line the pan with some chopped nuts before you pour.
Variation: To use this as a sauce, melt a half sheet of the finished caramels with 1-2 cups heavy cream and whisk over low heat.