Whatever Floats Your Zucchini Boats: How to Make Cheesy Stuffed Zucchini! by Donna John
The end of summer means stores, gardens and fridges are overloaded with zucchini. Zucchini boats are a fun and delicious way to use some of that summer's bounty up. Kids love 'em!
- 6 medium zucchini, washed and both ends cut off
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese (or your favorite cheese)
Here's how to make them:
- Cook the zucchini in boiling water for about 10 minutes. Drain.
- Slice the zucchinis in half and carefully scoop out the pulp. Chop the pulp and set aside.
- In a skillet, melt the butter. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the pulp, breadcrumbs, cheese, and salt and pepper, to taste. Cook until almost all the liquid has evaporated from the mixture.
- Fill the zucchini shells with the mixture. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 450-degree F oven for about 15 minutes.