How to Make Chicken & Egg Noodles Like Grandma Used to Make (Almost)! by Donna John
My grandma made this chicken and egg noodle dish. When I started making it, I added in the garlic and browning of the chicken and vegetables to up the flavor factor. (Sorry, grandma!)
- olive oil
- 3 - 4 bone-in chicken breasts
- 1 package (12 ounces) egg noodles
- baby carrots, whole if small, cut up if larger
- 5 - 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 ribs celery, chopped
- salt and pepper
- dried parsley flakes (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- In a small amount of olive oil, brown the chicken breasts on both sides. Get them good and brown!
- Scoot the chicken over to make a hole and add the onion, baby carrots, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add enough water to just cover the chicken and vegetables and simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken, bone and return to pot. (I turn the heat while doing this.)
- Add the egg noodles and cook until done. Season with salt and lots of black pepper. Almost all of the water should have cooked out by the time the noodles are ready.
- Stir in some dried parsley (mainly for additional color). Serve.