Homemade Refried Beans Take Taco Tuesday to a New Level by Donna John
Up your game on taco night by making homemade refried beans. If you've never made refried beans before, this is an easy recipe to start with.
- 1 bag (16 ounces) dried pinto beans, picked through and washed
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- shredded cheese, for top
Here’s how to make them:
- Put the cleaned beans and garlic in a pot. Add enough water to just cover the beans.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours, stirring often, until beans are soft.
- Add salt and cumin and continue to cook, uncovered, until all the water has evaporated.
- Mash beans. Taste and add addition salt, cumin and pepper, if needed.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese. Serve.
Note: You could add chopped onion, chopped cilantro, chili powder, chopped jalapeno, chopped roasted poblano, lime juice. Get creative!