New England Clam Chowder: A Super Bowl® Party Must for Any Patriots Fan! by Donna John
You knew it was coming. How can you have a Super Bowl® get together, pull for the New England Patriots and not have clam chowder? You can’t. Really ... you just can't.
- 4 - 5 slices bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 rib celery, chopped small
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- 2 – 3 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cans clams, plus their liquid
- oyster crackers or slices of toasted baguette
Here's how to make it:
- In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- To the bacon grease (you can remove some if you feel it’s too much) add the butter chopped onion and celery. Cook until vegetables are tender.
- Add the flour and stir until blended.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking, until it’s smooth. Add the half and half or cream, potatoes and bay leaf. Simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
- Add the clams and their liquid and the bacon. Season with salt and pepper. Heat through. Serve with oyster crackers or toasted baguette slices.
For a party, the chowder would be fun served in shot glasses or small mugs.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like: