Pasta You'll Want to Splurge On: How to Make Penne With Saffron & Sausage! by Erica Kane
Saffron may be a little pricey, but after you taste this pasta dish, you won't regret a single penny!
- 1 teaspoon saffron threads
- olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh or dried thyme, chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds sweet Italian turkey sausage
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 pound pasta (rigatoni, penne, gluten-free)
- salt and pepper
- Parmesan cheese
Here’s how to make it:
- In large, nonstick pan, heat olive oil. Sauté chopped onions with thyme, salt and pepper.
- Once onion is soft, about 6 minutes, add sausage and break up as it cooks, another 6 minutes.
- Add cream, saffron threads and a generous pinch of salt. Bring to a rolling simmer and cook until slightly reduced. Cover and let sit. (Let it sit until cool and then bring it back to a simmer before serving. It lets the sauce settle.)
- When ready to eat, bring a pot of water to boil and cook pasta until al dente. Mix sauce into pasta and top with grated Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Afghan Grade A saffron is the world's highest quality of saffron rated by ITQI (International Taste and Quality Institute) with a color reading of up to 290.
Enjoy this precious spice on Italian risotto rice as well as on the famous Spanish Paella recipe. Pack of 3. Product of Spain.
Hand-picked and carefully selected to ensure the utmost flavor and quality. Each bottle contains only the highest rated, full-stemmed threads with no additives or preservatives.