Easy Mouillettes Recipe: This Mouillettes Recipe Is the Ultimate French Breakfast Comfort Food by Chef Gigi Gaggero, 30Seconds.com Resident Chef
Mouillettes (pronounced moo-yet) are also known as "little soldiers" when they’re camouflaged with bacon, ham or a thin slice of salmon. They are little fingers of toasted bread that you dunk in a soft-boiled egg. It's a classic French breakfast dating back to childhood for most. Warm, comforting, fun and delicious! Here are my variations on these delicious little soldiers.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 slices bread without crust
- 1/2 slice prosciutto ham
- 1 thin slice Emmental cheese (or your favorite)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 shallot, diced very fine
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped fine
- kosher salt
Here's how you make them:
- In a bowl combine, eggs , butter, Parmesan, shallot, garlic, chives, salt and pepper. Beat with a fork, cover and set aside.
- Place ham and cheese between bread. Cut four evenly sliced rectangles.
- Heat a sauté pan to medium-high heat. Add rectangles to egg mixture and mildly soak through bread about 30 seconds. Shake off excess and add to hot sauté pan sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Cook so egg is cooked on outside (like french toast), about 1 to 2 minutes each side. Remove from pan and place on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree F oven until insides are completely melted through and edges are toasty, about 4 to 5 minutes. Serve warm with poached or soft-boiled eggs to dunk in.
Try these variations:
- cream cheese and salmon
- Brie cheese and green apple
- tuna and tomatoes with cheese
- serve soldiers simply toasted and wrapped in ham or dusted in Parmesan cheese
- simply dunk rectangles of plain toasted bread
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.