How to Make Simple Syrup & Why You Need It in Your Life! by Chef Gigi Gaggero
Let's make simple syrup! Typically I use a 2 to 1 ratio (2 sugar, 1 water) to make my simple syrup. You’ll need:
- filtered water
Here’s how to make it:
- Bring mixture to a roaring boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and continue to cook for at least 10 minutes to reduce and thicken.
You can make a variation on flavors by adding vanilla bean pods or other various spices. Experiment! Just remember simple syrup has a horrible life span – foodborne microbs grow fast here! It should be used within the week and kept refrigerated.
What can you use it for?
- Added to fresh lemon juice with ice, it will make the best lemonade you've ever had.
- A must have in your home bar.
- Used in many ice cream and sorbet recipes.
- Great addition to a citrus salad vinaigrette.
- Wonderful infused with basil or other herbs and glazed on grilled vegetables, especially carrots.
- Great base for many delicious Asian marinades.
What are you waiting for?