Savory Strawberry Basil Quinoa Salad: This Award-winning Summer Salad Recipe May Be the Perfect Summer Meal by Donna John
Summer calls for strawberries and salads, and this strawberry basil quinoa salad recipe is perhaps the perfect summer salad. The basil and quinoa ingredients boost flavor and nutrition, making it a lovely light meal.
The Strawberry Commission held a Kids Cook-Off recipe competition in 2015, and the winners were selected by teen chef and FOX's Masterchef Junior Season 3 winner Nathan Odom. Danielle McNerney, a 12-year-old from Maryland, won the grand prize for her savory Strawberry Basil Quinoa Salad recipe. Odom said he chose Danielle because her dish was easy, healthy and tasty.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4 minutes, plus quinoa cooking time
Total Time: 14 minutes, plus quinoa cooking time
Servings: 4 to 6
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup dried quinoa, cooked (makes about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions; set aside.
- To flavor the olive oil with basil, in small pan, heat the olive oil and then sauté basil until crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Remove basil and let drain on paper towel.
- In mixing bowl, gently stir all ingredients.
- Garnish with feta cheese and crumbled fried basil leaves.
Read more about this recipe here!