How to Make Strawberry Basil Quinoa Salad ("Masterchef Junior" Worthy)! by Donna John
The Strawberry Commission announced the winners of its 2015 summer #KidsCookOff recipe competition. The top three winners were selected by teen chef and FOX's Masterchef Junior Season 3 winner, Nathan Odom. Danielle McNerney, a 12-year-old from Maryland, won the grand prize for her savory Strawberry Basil Quinoa Salad recipe. Odom said he chose Danielle because her dish was easy, healthy and tasty.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced or chopped
- 1 cup dried quinoa, cooked (makes about 3 cups)
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- crumbled feta cheese (optional)
Here's how to make it:
- Prepare quinoa according to package directions; set aside.
- To flavor the olive oil with basil, in small pan, heat the olive oil and then sauté basil until crispy, about 4 minutes.
- Remove basil and let drain on paper towel.
- In mixing bowl, gently stir all ingredients.
- Garnish with feta cheese and crumbled fried basil leaves.
Read more about this recipe here!