Dads & Daughters: Here Are 15 Things Girls Need From Their Fathers by Kay Casperson
As we take the time to celebrate all the fathers, let's also take the time to remember how important the role of being a dad really is. Unfortunately, like with motherhood, being a father is not taught in school and the only examples we have are our own parents or the people that surround us. Regardless of your experience growing up, the responsibility of being a dad should not be taken lightly. Fathers are central to the emotional well-being of their children.
I have studied a bit on the impact that a father can have on a daughter’s life since I have two daughters of my own and look back on my own experience with my dad. I have read some research data that was taken from girls and women ages spanning from 9 to 89 with the question asked of participants to offer five of the most important things you need from your dad. Here are some of the top responses along with a few of my own:
- Time – spending quality time together
- Affirmation – approval and praise as well as the words “I love you.”
- Affection – hugs and physical touch
- Unconditional love – regardless of any failures
- Apologies – for mistakes made by him
- To be proud of me – less criticism; have faith in me
- Compliments – tell me I’m beautiful
- Honesty – knowing that he is honest with others and with me
- A listening ear – I need to know he is really listening to me
- Guidance – in the big and little things that are important in life
- Protection – from the craziness that surrounds me
- A sense of humor – so that I can laugh at things, too
- Commitment – to the needs of our family
- Role model – so I know how a man should treat a women
- Encouragement – so I know that he supports my dreams and goals
I’m sure there are things you could add to this list that are important to you, too. I encourage you to share, along with your additions to the dads that surround you in hopes that we can all understand and appreciate the importance of the role that being a father really is.
My affirmation for you this week is: "I am taking the time to understand, celebrate and appreciate the important role a father has in making a difference in the life of a child."
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Books About Dads & Daughters $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.