North Lake Tahoe: See What’s New in North Lake Tahoe for Winter 2017-18! by 30Seconds Travel
North Lake Tahoe has invested more than $9 million in capital improvements, avalanche training and snow technology after experiencing the wettest winter on record in 2016-17. With added non-stop flights from Denver and Chicago, the region prepares for the 2017-18 season with new mountain exploration programs, luxe amenities and a wide variety of on and off-mountain events. Home to 12 downhill ski mountains and six cross-country areas, North Lake Tahoe contains the largest concentration of ski resorts in North America, each with varying terrain and amenities. The list below contains new and expanded programs, events and activities in 2017-18.
Capital Improvements, Parks, Snowmaking
- Squaw Valley | Alpine Meadows invested $4 million in Snow Safety and Technology: Astar 350 B3 helicopter, four new avalaunchers and 13 Gazex “Dragon” installations have been ordered to assist with avalanche control. Mountain operations leaders have received special avalanche training led by the Karakoram Group, which uses a background in elite military training to develop high-performing teams.
- Sugar Bowl | Royal Gorge invested $3 million in capital improvements: The resort has renovated the Historic Schule Haus to create a full-service children’s ski and snowboard school. Additional investments have been made in grooming and snow removal equipment, tree removal and snowmelt diversion systems. The resort has partnered with James beard Award-Winning Chef Traci Des Jardins, and has renovated the Nob Hill Cafe (total investment since 2015: $6 million).
- Mt. Rose Ski Tahoe invested more than $2 million in capital improvements: Renovations include a first-of-its-kind enclosed dual conveyor lift that will offer beginners and children access to Mt. Rose’s learning terrain and protection from the elements. Additional projects include expanded snowmaking and snow grooming capabilities, and facility upgrades at the Winters Creek Lodge base area.
- Vail Resorts Commits to Zero Net Operating Footprint by 2030: The “Epic Promise for a Zero Footprint” by Vail Resorts, parent company to Northstar California, includes improvement to low-energy snowmaking equipment, efficient grooming practices and equipment, future development impact reduction, and improvement on the recycling and composting programs.
- Diamond Peak’s New Lakeview Terrain Park: Accessible via the Crystal Express and Ridge chair lifts, the park offers a creative, flowing layout for both skiers and riders. The resort has increased snowmaking and water pressure for its HKD high-efficiency tower snow guns.
New Programs - Aprés Ski/Ride, Backcountry Tours, Expeditions & Training
- The Ritz-Carlton, Lake Tahoe’s Aprés Adventurist Packages offer luxe concierge services that combine the best of indulgence, hospitality, adventure and comfort. Varying package levels include private jet service from San Francisco to the Truckee Airport, premier lodging, heli-skiing, ski valet, champagne toasts and exclusive dining experiences by Executive Chef Mark Jeffers.
- Alpenglow Expeditions, "Rock Star" Program: New this year, the the Rock Star Program provides exclusive, back-country access to Squaw Valley/Alpine Meadows for a group of up to four guests. Led by a celebrity athlete and certified avalanche guide, this custom exploration and learning experience takes guests deep into the Tahoe National Forest with excursion equipment provided.
- Northstar California Resort, Platinum Piste, First Tracks: Platinum Piste: Skiers and snowboarders with Platinum Season or Day Passes gain access to the exclusive, groomed, location-rotating run every Saturday. First Tracks: Skiers and snowboarders can begin the day at sunrise with First Tracks, where Adventure Guiding and Learning Center mountain guides take two intimate groups on a tour of the mountain before lifts open to the public.
- Diamond Peak’s On-Mountain Interpretive Tours: On-mountain snowshoe tours take place after hours and guides discuss unique plant and animal life, history of the resort and the Lake Tahoe region. Access also includes s’mores and hot cocoa at Snowflake Lodge.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Lake Tahoe Travel Guides $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.