September Is California Wine Month: Raise a Glass to Harvest at More Than 50 Events Around the State! by 30Seconds Travel
September marks the 13th annual California Wine Month, and it's the perfect time to experience the annual harvest season. Wine enthusiasts can enjoy special tastings, festivals, concerts, wine and food offerings and more at wineries and other venues throughout the state. California is the most visited state in the U.S. for food and wine-related activities, with 24 million visits to the state's wine regions each year.
- Celebrate September 1-3 with Sonoma Wine Country Weekend at Sonoma State University where top winemakers, growers and chefs will come together to celebrate the region's finest wine and food. Stay in Sonoma for the Sonoma Valley Crush, which offers hands-on harvest experiences at 12 boutique wineries September 8-10.
- Voted on as one of the top 10 wine destinations in the world by Wine Enthusiast Magazine, the Calistoga Wine Experience on September 9 in Napa Valley features wines from more than 35 Calistoga wineries and a chance to meet the owners and winemakers, enjoy appetizers and live jazz at a spectacular harvest setting.
San Francisco Bay and Santa Cruz Mountains
- On September 3, wineries celebrate the exciting crush season at the Livermore Valley Harvest Wine Celebration. Later in the month on September 23, Livermore hosts a live auction with prizes ranging from wine to vacations to private dinners and more.
- Also on September 23, the annual Eat Drink Los Gatos features restaurant food booths, live music and shopping in charming downtown Los Gatos.
Central Coast: Monterey to Santa Barbara
- As the sun sets September 2, the Highway 46 West Harvest Block Party will take place at Dark Star Cellars. This mini wine festival is one of the more popular events on the Central Coast.
- Enjoy an afternoon at Santa Barbara's Taste of the Town featuring area wineries and more for the ultimate epicurean adventure in Santa Barbara. The event, which benefits the Arthritis Foundation, will take place on September 10 at Riviera Gardens. Later in the month on September 29, kick off four days of wine and culinary experiences at The Taste of Santa Barbara Wine Country.
- The 80th Annual Lodi Grape Festival celebrates Lodi agriculture while raising funds for community and charitable projects. The event is on September 14-17 and will feature live music, activities for families and kids and a Friday wine tasting with Lodi wines.
- On September 15, guests 21+ are invited to celebrate Madera Wine Trail's California Wine Month Celebration. This event will offer wine tasting from local wineries, food by a variety of local restaurants and live music.
- Lake Tahoe Autumn Food & Wine Festival takes place the weekend of September 8. Enjoy three full days of cooking seminars and demonstrations, culinary competitions, wine tastings, a Farm-to-Tahoe dinner, live music, a gourmet marketplace, and more.
- In South Lake Tahoe, Sample the Sierra is a unique farm-to-fork festival held on September 16. The festival offers the chance to taste the creations of local Sierra Nevada talent – from food, wine and spirits to fresh produce and art.
- At the Los Angeles Times' The Taste, wine and food are the stars September 1-3. Celebrate Southern California's vibrant culinary scene at Paramount Pictures Studios iconic backlot, presenting five events with leading chefs and restaurants in L.A. and tastings.
- On September 10, enjoy complimentary tastings from more than 25 wineries at VINO-Palooza – a wine and music festival at The Marina Del Rey Hotel, LA.
- Celebrate California Wine Month Temecula style at CRUSH, a Wine and Culinary Showcase on September 30.
Visit DiscoverCaliforniaWines.com to view a full list of events by date and order a copy of this year's "2017 California Wine Month Facts at a Glance" poster. Or, download a map of California wine regions and the 138 American Viticultural Areas (AVAs). You can also learn more at WineInstitute.org.