How to Induce Labor: 8 Natural Ways Rumored to Jumpstart Labor & Delivery When You are Full Term by 30Seconds Pregnancy
After 40 weeks of pregnancy, you may be tired of being pregnant and want to try and jumpstart labor and delivery. There are countless ways people believe you can naturally start labor once you are full term. Here are just a few of them:
- Exercise: This can be anything that gets your heart rate up, such as a walk around the neighborhood or mall.
- Nipple Stimulation: Stimulating your nipples can make your uterus start to contract, which some believe can help bring on labor. According to the Mayo Clinic, “Oxytocin is the hormone that causes the uterus to contract and milk to be ejected from the breast. In fact, if you choose to breastfeed your baby right after delivery, this same stimulation is what will help your uterus shrink back to its original size.” You can stimulate your own nipples, or have some fun and invite your partner to help!
- Sex: Many couples swear that sex helped get their labor going. It could be because oxytocin is released during sex, which can cause contractions. According to the Mayo Clinic, “Having sex is safe at full term, but you shouldn’t have sex after your water has broken. Doing so can increase your risk of infection.”
- Evening Primrose Oil: Evening primrose oil may help ripen the cervix and get it ready for labor. Some women take evening primrose capsules, while others believe you need to rub the oil directly onto your cervix. Be sure to talk to your doctor.
- Raspberry Leaf Tea: According to the Mayo Clinic, some midwives recommend drinking raspberry leaf tea to induce labor. Even if it doesn't work for your labor, it can help hydrate and reduce stress, so sip away.
- Castor Oil: Have memories of your grandma giving you castor oil as a child? This laxative may help stimulate your bowels, which may irritate your uterus and cause contractions. Castor oil can also cause diarrhea, so think long and hard about this one.
- Spicy Foods: This may be an old wives’ tale, but it's believed that eating spicy foods can trigger labor. Throw some jalapenos on that pizza, dig into a plate of chipotle cream chicken or snack on some spicy buffalo cauliflower bites. If it doesn’t work, at least you had a good meal (watch out for heartburn)!
- Pineapple: Some women think eating pineapple or drinking pineapple juice can help with labor because it contains bromelain. Rumor has it, the bromelain helps ripen the cervix. Virgin pina colada, anyone?
Do you have a secret to start labor? Share below!
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.