The Flu & Pregnancy: 8 Things Pregnant Moms Need to Know by Dr. Shayna Mancuso
As an OB/GYN, my pregnant patients have many questions about the influenza virus (flu) and the influenza vaccine (flu shot). During my last pregnancy, I contracted the influenza virus. I was quite sick, yet fortunate enough to avoid serious complications. With flu season rapidly approaching (November-March), the following are a few flu facts to help keep our moms (and babies) healthy!
- Influenza is spread via virus-containing droplets when someone coughs, talks or sneezes.
- A person with the flu is contagious one day before symptoms develop and up to seven days after.
- Common flu symptoms include fever, chills, muscle aches, cough, congestion and even nausea.
- The flu can cause very serious complications in pregnancy such as preterm labor or pneumonia.
- The flu can lead to high fevers, which may be dangerous to your growing baby.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommend a flu vaccine for pregnant women during any trimester. (A flu shot without thimerasol may also be available.)
- The nasal spray is not recommended for use in pregnancy.
- The flu shot can protect your baby even after he or she is born.
Please contact your doctor if you are pregnant and having flu-like symptoms to discuss possible antiviral and natural treatment options. Read more about the ACOG's recommendations and learn more about the flu and pregnancy via CDC.gov.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.