Mom & Dad, Is Your Teenager Vaping? Here Are 7 Signs Your Child Might Be Using E-cigarettes by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
One in four teenagers vape, and a large percentage of their parents have no idea. E-cigarettes containing nicotine (and sometimes other drugs) have swept high schools and even middle schools to become the risk behavior of choice, and our youngest generation is paying the price.
So far, 26 people have died and more than 1,299 cases of lung illness have been traced to vaping, and another 3.6 million teens are being subjected to mood and impulse-control problems because their developing brains can’t process nicotine. If you’re not sure whether your teen is vaping, here’s what to look for:
- Sweet smell. Vaping juices come in kid-friendly flavors like fruit punch.
- Increased thirst. Vaping is hydroscopic, which means it causes dehydration.
- A love of salt and spicy foods. Vaping interferes with the ability to taste.
- Nosebleeds. Vaping causes dryness in the nose.
- Irritability. Changes in behavior can indicate nicotine withdrawal.
- Caffeine overload. Vaping on top of caffeine can cause mood swings and anxiety.
- Pneumonia. Vaping causes inflammation in the lungs, which can lead to infection.
If you suspect your teen is vaping, have them talk with their health-care provider about the health risks!
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Vaping Test Kits $4 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.