No-Excuses-After-School Routine: 8 Steps to Less Parenting Stress by Kim Kusiciel
Kids of all ages can do this no-excuses after-school routine. Here's the simple tried-and-true routine that worked with my kids:
- Smiles and hugs.
- Take off and put away my shoes and jacket.
- Wash my hands.
- Empty out and sort my backpack into three categories (action, archive, trash).
- Hang up my backpack.
- Put lunch and snack containers in the sink or dishwasher.
- Place lunchbox in its "home" until I need it again.
- Snack, chat and plan.
Here's how to make the routine really work for your family. Do it every day. Especially when it's a crazy night. Be sure your kids are getting into these routines early. If this is too much at first, then tailor it down to help them be successful until they can carry more responsibility.
- Give them a place for their backpack. A hook works well in my house.
- When you sort the backpack, throw the trash out right away and take the archive papers to your command center or office.
- When you talk about the day, make sure to ask open-ended questions and ask about the problems they solved or how they overcame an obstacle, this encourages a growth mindset. Without distraction, really listen to them and then make a plan for the rest of the day.
Try this routine out for 30 days and see if it helps your kids!
Note: 30Seconds is a participant in the Amazon affiliate advertising program and this post contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a commission or fees if you make a purchase via those links.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.