How Can Parents Ensure Their Kids Are Really Learning at School? Find Out! by Pepi Silverman
As students progress in school, many families question whether their children's learning reflects "real" knowledge. Report cards can be misleading. Students are rarely retained in their grade level, regardless of performance. So, what can a parent do to be sure that their children are really learning?
- Ask that teachers explain the data behind their grades
- Share in your children’s learning by reading together
- Request application activities to support instruction
- Show children how math and reading applies to real life
- Make connections between jobs and academic skills
It is important that students are provided with authentic instruction that has real-life applications.