Create an Oasis In Your Yard With a Butterfly Garden Your Whole Family Will Love! by Elisa All Schmitz 30Seconds
The other day, this monarch butterfly landed in the palm of my hand. It literally took my breath away. The magic of that moment washed away all of my stress. Yes, peace can be elusive; we all need an oasis to escape to. Why not create a sanctuary with a butterfly garden, right in your own yard! Butterflies are not only beautiful, but also help pollinate flowers. Get your kids to help create this peaceful place!
Here's what you should know:
- Butterflies need plants where they can lay their eggs, and that provide food for caterpillars as well as for adult butterflies.
- They prefer sunny spaces that provide a water source and shelter from wind.
- Butterflies seek brightly colored (red, orange, purple) native plants.
- Our butterfly garden is filled with a variety of tall perennials, such as ironweed (pictured), which blooms summer and fall.
- Monarchs (pictured) especially need milkweed, but other good choices for attracting butterflies include butterfly bush, day lilies, sage, snapdragon, goldenrod, lavender, lilac and zinnia.
Enjoy the peace and beauty of your new garden sanctuary! Here are some resources to help:
Ironweed Seeds $5.50
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.