Save the Bees! 5 Ways You Can Help These Essential Pollinators Thrive by Jessica Acree
"If bees were to disappear from the face of the Earth, humans would have just four years to live." The startling claim, recently made by a fan page dedicated to British naturalist Sir David Attenborough, has shined a spotlight on the dwindling population of bees worldwide.
The social media post has created quite a buzz about the well-documented problem. Their suggestion? Put a spoonful of sugar water in your yard or garden to give them a re-energizing sip that fuels their critical work of pollination.
"Simply mix 2 tablespoons of white, granulated sugar with 1 tablespoon of water, and place on a spoon for the bee to reach."
The comment sparked an instant #savethebees effort with posts shared online. It’s a practice used by some beekeepers to hydrate the bees or even stimulate certain behaviors. It's a fun idea, but it got us thinking ... what else can we do? Here are some other ways you can help bees thrive:
- Plant native wildflowers or flowering shrubs. They're a rich food source for pollinators, gardens are, too!
- Let the dandelions live! Their pollen is easily accessible and long lasting even if they decorate your yard in yellow polka-dots.
- Support local, organic farms. Buy fruits and veggies from your community farmer's market. Healthy crops fuel better bee health. Many vendors sell raw, fresh honey, too!
- Build or create a bee house. Make it an educational experience for your family. The simple structures provide protection for young bees.
- Share your #savethebees efforts with 30Seconds. We'd love to see how you're joining the movement to keep these little amazing little creatures happy and healthy.
Just found a little bumble bee crawling around in my house. Realised the poor thing was tired, using what Sir David Attenborough said mixing sugar and water helped this little bee regain its energy to carry on its day 💕🐝 pic.twitter.com/7VdnfFUQd6
— Courtney Flannagan (@courtneyflann) June 19, 2018
Get more bee-saving tips at SaveBees.org and learn how to build a bee house!
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Save the Bees T-shirts $11 & Up
Bee Houses $25
Bee Jewelry $3 & Up
Save the Bees Stickers $3 & Up
Planet Earth DVDs $20 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.