5 Steps to Nutrition: The AAP Suggests a Whole-Diet Approach! by Donna John
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) is urging families to take a broader approach to nutrition and consider the whole diet. The policy statement recommends a five-step approach:
- select foods from all five food groups
- offer a variety of food experiences
- avoid highly processed foods
- use small amounts of sugar, salt, fats and oils with highly nutritious foods
- offer appropriate portions
“No ingredient should be banned. A small amount of sugar or fat is OK if it means a child is more likely to eat foods that are highly nutritious,” says Dr. Robert Murray, author of the statement.