Mental Wellness: 5 Things You May Not Know About Mental Health & Mental Illnesses by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
As the COVID-19 pandemic continues and many people remain isolated, the impact of the pandemic on mental health has been brought into question. If you think you are suffering from a mental illness, reach out to a health-care provider, such as a mental health nurse practitioner (NP), who can help determine the right course of action for you.
Here are five things you may not know about mental health and mental illness:
- More than 50 percent of Americans will be diagnosed with a mental illness or disorder at some point in their lifetime.
- Nearly 20 percent of Americans will experience a mental illness in any given year.
- At some point during their life, one in five children will experience a seriously debilitating mental illness.
- Approximately 4 percent of Americans live with a serious mental illness, such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or major depression.
- A person’s mental health can change over time, depending on many factors. When the demands placed on a person exceed their resources and coping abilities, their mental health could be impacted.
Sometimes the terms “mental health” and “mental illness” are used interchangeably, but poor mental health and mental illness are not the same thing. If you are interested in learning more about mental illness and mental health, reach out to your NP. If you are concerned about your mental health or the mental health of a loved one, reach out to your NP or another health-care provider for help.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Mental Illness Resources $3 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.