Guide to Self-Reflection: 8 Ways to Make Self-Reflection Part of Your Daily Self-Care Practice by Anne O. Boudreau
With Americans still facing heavy stress from the coronavirus pandemic and economic, social and political issues, it’s important to focus on the mental component of self-care. Your mental state governs your entire life, and if you are feeling off-kilter, the tendency is to ignore taking care of yourself, rather than step up self-care.
People can protect their mental, emotional, physical and spiritual health by practicing self-reflection as part of self-care routines. Self-reflection is a process of consciously thinking through and evaluating your thoughts, beliefs and experiences as a means of learning about yourself. It offers you the opportunity to pause and detach from your busy life, thus permitting you to consider new interpretations of what you have experienced and endured.
Keys to making self-reflection part of your self-care practice include:
- Check in With Yourself: Make it a habit to “take your temperature,” throughout the day to assess your thoughts and adjust as needed. Pay close attention to your thoughts, feelings and emotions, and how they affect you. Do not suppress them. Observe them without judgment and embrace them without reservation. Observing your thoughts rather than suppressing them will enable you to better understand yourself.
- Be Mindful of Negative Triggers: A trigger is a stimulus that evokes a particular thought or emotion from your past. A trigger can derail the best of intentions. It can come in the form of a specific word, song, location, person, season or cue in the environment that induces a specific feeling within you. Becoming aware of triggers before they ruin your day is a vital component to tuning in to your self.
- Practice Stillness and Deep Breathing: This means breaking away from the noise and chaos of the world and spending 10 to 15 minutes in quiet time. Close your eyes and breath deeply, inhaling and exhaling with robustness. Soon you will start to feel the stress and tension melt away. Do this as often as you feel you need to.
- Journal Your Thoughts and Feelings: Journaling is an important part of self-reflection and awareness. When you write down your thoughts and feelings, you’re taking them out of your brain and putting them on paper. As you come to understand yourself better, you may learn to direct your thoughts and feelings rather than being driven by them. This can help you adapt to changing circumstances with less resistance and stress.
- Inspire Yourself through Positive Self-Talk: Positive self-talk is a powerful tool to flip the script in your brain from negative to positive. Athletes use positive self-talk as a force of inspiration, as do other performers, because it is a valuable self-motivating practice.
Here are some additional pointers:
- Schedule. Establish a routine and schedule time for self-reflection throughout the day.
- Set boundaries. Learn to say no and stay true to your personal schedule for self-care.
- Choose practices that are easy to apply and that you know you will use. You can practice self-reflection while walking, exercising, meditating or in any activity that brings you joy.
Self-care comes in many forms, from soothing activities such as deep breathing, meditation, yoga, silent time, stillness and sleep, to more active pursuits such as exercise and hobbies. Self-care is paramount right now. Those who respect themselves are more prone to care for themselves.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Self-Care Gifts for Women $5 & Up
Self-Care Gifts for Men $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.