Vaccines 101: What Immunizations Are & 6 Reasons Why They’re Important for Everyone by Sophia L. Thomas, DNP, APRN, FNP-BC, PPCNP-BC, FNAP, FAANP
Vaccines are among the most significant scientific breakthroughs of our time, but misinformation has people opting out and getting sick as a result. Part of the problem is vaccines are too effective – most people don’t know what it’s like to live through a polio or smallpox outbreak, and many are just now learning that measles is far more contagious than the flu. Here’s a review of what vaccines are and why they are critical:
- Vaccines prevent diseases by stimulating the immune system to produce antibodies against certain bacteria or viruses.
- Vaccines are the best way to prevent measles, whooping cough, polio, tetanus, hepatitis A and B, chickenpox and more.
- Vaccines prevent more than 2.5 million deaths each year.
- A vaccinated population creates herd immunity – which protects people who can’t be vaccinated.
- Vaccines are safe, and it’s been proven that they do not cause autism.
- One unvaccinated person who contracts a disease can cause an outbreak.
Vaccines are an essential part of public health, but only if enough people get them. Don’t underestimate the devastation of disease just because you don’t see people suffering every day. An outbreak is just a person away, so protect yourself and your family.
To learn more, visit WeChooseNPs.org.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Medical Records Organizers $7 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.