8 Facts About Skin Cancer That Could Save Your Life (You Won't Believe No. 7) by Joyce Knestrick, CRNP, FAANP
Many people think they know plenty about skin cancer to protect themselves – wear sunscreen, avoid tanning beds and limit the time you spend under the rays – and that should pretty much cover it. But the most common cancer (by a long shot) is a lot more complicated than that.
Don’t live in the dark! Here are eight commonly overlooked facts that you should know about skin cancer:
- More people are diagnosed with skin cancer each year than all other cancers combined.
- Skin cancer is most deadly for African Americans, Asians and Latinos.
- Men are twice as likely to get skin cancer.
- Eighty percent of melanoma does NOT originate on a mole.
- Only one in 10 people with skin cancer has a family history of skin cancer.
- One bad childhood burn doubles your risk of melanoma later in life.
- Left-sided facial skin cancer is more common because of window exposure while driving, even if it’s closed.
- Melanoma can develop anywhere on your body, including places not exposed to the sun.
Skin cancer is incredibly common, and the incidence, as well as death rates, are on the rise. Don’t assume you have skin cancer covered – schedule regular checks with your nurse practitioner (NP) and do home screenings to ensure skin cancer doesn’t get the best of you.
To learn more about NPs visit WeChooseNPS.org.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community, and follow us on Facebook to get inspiration in your newsfeed daily. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Skin Cancer Guides $3 & Up
Sun Hats $6 & Up
Sunscreen $4 & Up
Car Window Shades $8 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.