Suicide Prevention Tips: 6 Ways You Can Help Prevent Suicide by Heather Holter
Every month should be Suicide Prevention Month. Let's help prevent it! How? Here are six ways:
- Talk about it! If the subject is less taboo, more depressed people can be reached. It won't increase suicide rates either.
- Be kind. Love others! Give compliments! Smile! If someone is depressed, the smallest insult can push them to act on it and the smallest kindness may help them live another day.
- Notice signs in friends and family. Talk to them about it and encourage them to get help through mental health services or by calling the National Suicide Hotline at 1 800 273-TALK.
- Help someone struggling to find meaning or a cause to support. If people feel useful, they are less likely to die by suicide.
- Be a friend, shoulder to cry on, ear to listen to those you know are struggling. It helps a lot to have a way to get the feeling out and makes the depressed person feel cared for.
- If you have had these struggles yourself in the past share your story. If it becomes more common, less people will need to suffer alone.
The content on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information on this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal healthcare provider. The opinions or views expressed on 30Seconds.com do not necessarily represent those of 30Seconds or any of its employees, corporate partners or affiliates.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
Suicide Prevention Merchandise $5 & Up
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.