Your Kidneys Deserve Respect: 5 Reasons to Thank These Vital Organs! by Cindy Cooke, DNP, FNP-C, FAANP
5 years ago
Add to collection
Kidneys are vital organs that pack a punch when it comes to keeping you healthy. While coming in a distant fourth behind more well-known vital organs like the heart, brain and lungs, here are the top five reasons kidneys deserve more respect:
- They clean up your system. Your kidneys sift through 200 quarts of blood a day and produce 2 quarts of urine to get rid of excess waste and fluid in your body.
- They help control blood pressure. Kidneys regulate blood pressure by controlling fluids and making hormones causing blood vessels to constrict.
- They give you energy. Kidneys signal your body to produce enough red blood cells to distribute oxygen, which gives you oomph.
- They help make strong bones. Kidneys make vitamin D and balance phosphorus and calcium so your bones have just the right amount.
- They control acidity. Foods and cells create acids when they break down, and your kidneys help balance the levels in your body.
Your kidneys may be tiny, but they work tirelessly to keep you healthy. To return the favor, drink plenty of water, eat well, keep your weight and blood pressure in check, and avoid toxins that make your kidneys work harder.