Cervical Cancer: 10 Facts Every Woman Needs to Know by Donna John
How much do you know about cervical cancer? Here are 10 things you need to know about cervical cancer from Cancer.org:
- Cervical cancer starts in the cells lining the cervix – the lower part of the uterus (womb).
- The normal cells of the cervix gradually develop pre-cancerous changes that turn into cancer.
- Doctors use several terms to describe these pre-cancerous changes: cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN), squamous intraepithelial lesion (SIL) and dysplasia.
- Found early by having regular Pap smears, cervical cancer is one of the most treatable cancers.
- HPV is the most important risk factor for cervical cancer. Other risk facts include smoking, a weakened immune system, Chlamydia infection, a diet low in fruits and vegetables, being overweight, long-term use or oral contraceptives, IUD, having multiple full-term pregnancies, being younger than 17 at your first full-term pregnancy, economic status, DES and having a family history of cervical cancer.
- Women with early cervical cancers and pre-cancers usually have no symptoms.
- Symptoms often do not begin until the cancer becomes invasive and grows into nearby tissue.
- The most common symptoms of cervical cancer are abnormal vaginal bleeding, unusual discharge from the vagina and pain during sex.
- Common types of treatments for cervical cancer include surgery, radiation therapy, chemotherapy and targeted therapy.
- It is often a good idea to get a second opinion, especially from doctors experienced in treating cervical cancer.
Learn even more about cervical cancer at Cancer.org.
The information on 30Seconds.com is for informational and entertainment purposes only, and should not be considered medical advice. The information provided through this site should not be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, and is not a substitute for professional care. Always consult your personal health care provider.
Take 30 seconds and join the 30Seconds community. Inspire and be inspired.
Related Products on Amazon We Think You May Like:
30Second Mobile, Inc. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.