Grieving? 6 Coping Strategies That May Help You Move On by Doctor Harmony
2 years ago
Are you grieving over the death of someone special to you? What can you do to move on? Here are six things that may help.
- Celebrate their lives and the time spent with them, rather than focus on time lost and regrets.
- Celebrate their lives on anniversaries, birthdays and special occasions – start a new tradition, do something your loved one enjoyed, exchange stories of fun times you had with the loved one. Some people find it helpful collating a scrapbook of their loved one’s life.
- Ask yourself, “How would they want me to be now? How would they feel seeing me so upset?”
- Use grief positively to help others – volunteer, donate to charity, become an organ donor.
- Try resolving regrets creatively, such as writing a letter, talking to their photo.
- Avoid using alcohol, gambling, comfort-eating or drugs as a crutch. This worsens problems longer term.
Seek professional counseling if you are struggling.