10 Pool Safety Tips Every Parent Needs to Read - Now! by Donna John
a year ago
CPSC’s Pool Safely campaign is urging parents and kids to follow 10 steps to stay safer when spending time in or near water.
- Learn how to swim and teach your child how to swim.
- If a child is missing, look for him or her in the pool or spa first.
- Learn CPR on kids and adults and update those skills regularly.
- Install and use a lockable safety cover on your spa.
- Keep kids away from pool drains, pipes and other openings to avoid entrapments.
- Install a 4-foot or taller fence around the entire perimeter of the pool and use self-closing and self-latching gates. Ask your neighbors to do the same at their pools.
- Never leave a child unattended in or near a pool or spa and always watch your children closely around any water.
- Designate a "Water Watcher" to supervise children in the pool or spa. This person should not be reading, texting, using a smart phone or distracted in any way.
- Ensure any public pool and spa you use has drain covers that comply with federal safety requirements. If you don't know, ask the pool manager if the facility complies with the “VGB Act.”
- Have lifesaving equipment such as a life ring, float or fiberglass reaching pole available and accessible.
Let's have a fun and safe summer!